Although most of the traffic to your blog comes from other web sites and blogs, the search engines can send you lots of traffic and you can really leverage this potential by optimising your blog for better search engine rankings.
Your ranking in the search engines depends a lot on the way you generate your blog content and the way you manage your overall blog. Let’s quickly go through some steps that can SEO your blog. I will be writing from WordPress point of view but these tactics can be applied on any blogging platform.
- Generate highly relevant content. The content of your blog not only attracts readers it also attracts the search engines because content is what they’re trying to present to their users. The search engines are constantly looking for fresh and relevant content to index. So the more relevant content you have with greater frequency the search engine crawlers crawl your blog and index your newly updated blog posts.
- Have unique and compelling blog post titles. Compelling blog post titles immediately attract the readers when they see your title appearing on the search engine result pages and social book marking web sites. The search engines use your blog post title to rank your individual posts, that is why be careful what you put in your title. Try to include the most important phrases in your title. The phrase or the phrases should represent the true meaning of your blog post.
- Use search engine friendly URLs. Many blogging software and content management systems provide search engine friendly URLs these days and you should definitely check out the publishing software that does not generate search engine friendly URLs. In most of the cases you’re complete title on the part of your title is used to generate the URL, so you’re important keywords are automatically included in the URL.
- Organise your content under headings and subheadings. Headings and subheadings allow you to highlight your main points. Highlighting the main points always helps both your human visitors and the search engines because both go through the highlighted portions first. Put your keywords inside your headings and subheadings and have a heading on a subheading often every one or two paragraphs.
- Link to your other blog posts from your new blog posts. This way you enhance the importance of your older blog posts. This also makes the indexing of the older blog posts easier.
- Use your keywords in your hyperlinks. The text of your hyperlinks is also called the anchor text. While linking to your older posts use the relevant keywords that represent those posts appropriately.
- Use the ALT attribute of the <img tag and put relevant text there.
All these steps can help you really SEO your blog. This is of course just the tip of the iceberg, feel free to add more…